Monday, December 3, 2012

Advent lessons from a little cowboy.


we were at "Papa's Ranch" for Thanksgiving.
Mackoy LOVES his Papa Kirk.
My mom and I flew with the kids (Mackoy and Haven) to Louisiana the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Mackoy knows no stranger and he told nearly each person we met, including the TSA people and our flight attendants, "My name is Mackoy Matthew (Maffew) Hemmert. I"m gonna be three (free) after my next birfday. I'm going to see my Papa Kirk on the ranch."
When we finally arrived at the Monroe airport after a long day of traveling, Mackoy could barely contain his excitment. "Where's my Papa Kirk?!? We gonna go see him?!" 
And then there was the moment when he saw his papa...
we were about 40 yards away and were coming down a ramp to where everyone was waiting on their loved ones to arrive. He was holding my hand and we started running. He was laughing and yelling, "My Papa Kirk! My Papa Kirk!"
at one point, he let go of my hand just kept on running. I teared up. But I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one. It was seriously the sweetest thing.
My dad scooped him up and that was it. For the next 7 days they were pretty much inseparable. Except when my dad got the flu. At which time, Mackoy simply asked us all a million times, "Is my Papa Kirk okay? He gonna get better?" Such a tender little heart.
As I watched my dad and Makcoy's reunion, I couldn't help but think of how much my Heavenly Father loves me and how much he longs for this type of reunion with me.
Would I RUN to Him, laughing and sqealing with delight?
Would I yell his name over and over again until he scooped me in His arms?

literal pictures often feel a little strange...
but it definitely got me thinking..

and with the beginning of Advent this weekend,
I have been reflecting on the approaching holiday
and how to prepare my heart for what we are celebrating.

Advent literally means WAITING.
We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of Christmas.

It is so easy to get lost in the chaos of it all.
but I refuse to let that happen. because the chaos can be a kill-joy.
and I do not want to miss out on the JOY of this season.

So, I want to learn from this little cowboy in my life...my sweet nephew...
I want to RUN to Jesus, with adoration and joy!
I want His love for me to cause me to become undignified like a three year old who sees his beloved papa!

Jesus came to earth.
To dwell with us.
because he LOVES us.
Yes, YOU.
and me.

that is awesome. that is totally worth celebrating.

 

  

JOY to the WORLD. 
THE LORD HAS COME!
Let earth receive her KING! 

2 comments: