Thursday, November 1, 2012

adoption


I've posted about my thoughts on adoption before. 
you can check that out here, if you'd like.

Adoption continues to be an issue close to my heart. 
something that we talk about. pray about. 
-I'll post more on that later-

Today, in honor of the 1st day of November,
( November?!?!!? What the heck?! How did this happen!?!)
here are some facts about adoption.


"American children spend an average of just over three years in foster care after they become eligible for adoption."

-www.childrensrights.org-

This means that after a child has been removed from their home and spend time in foster care awaiting to find out if they can return home or not, they eventually become eligible for adoption. and AFTER they become eligible for adoption, they spend-on average-another 3 years in foster care before they find a forever family. 

 

"The majority (42 percent) of children currently in foster care waiting to be adopted were removed from their parents or caretakers before two years old. Research shows children who enter foster care at a young age remain in the system longer. "

 

According to fosteringconnections.org, "In 2010, 239 youth in Kansas aged out of the foster care system without a permanent, legal family."

 Think about the ramifications of that. 

Holidays.

 Financial Support. 

Emotional Support. 

belonging. 



 I sat and talked two weeks ago with a young man who "aged-out" of the foster care system. 
Emancipated. 
We talked about how hard he has to work-to fight- for his success because he lacks support. 
He shared that it hurts to know that "the people who are supposed to be there for you in life, aren't."
family. 


I can not even fathom what that feels like. 
I am blessed. 
beyond measure. 
beyond what I deserve. 

This month, I hope that you think and pray about how you can advocate for these youth. 
How you might join with others to love those who are often forgotten in our society. 

It terrifies me to think about what God might be asking of me...
but I refuse to let that fear paralyze me into doing nothing.








No comments:

Post a Comment