Tuesday, April 16, 2013

good for you, Mark Cuban.

last night Rob was giving me updates on the WNBA's draft. 
a friend of ours had a sister in the draft and we were watching to see when & where she would go. 

I must be honest and say that I have never actually watched an entire WNBA game. 
but to be fair, I don't watch the NBA either. 
I really, really dislike the NBA-but that is a whole other story. 

Anyway, 
I don't talk about it much here on this blog, 
but I love basketball. 
Some--if not MOST-- of my absolute favorite memories involve this beloved game. 
playing on the patio at the farm.
playing pick-up with my dad and brothers in the Quonset.
summers traveling the state of Kansas for tournaments. 
watching my brothers play at the state tournament.
4 years of college basketball including 2 trips to the national tournament.
a father/daughter trip to the Women's NCAA Final 4 in Indianapolis.
(2005-I look so young!)

the game has brought me much joy. 
but it has also left me striving and having to "prove" myself. 

I grew up playing with boys. 
where I came from, that was who played. 
there were very few girls that ever played pick-up or wanted to pass time in the gym. 
so if I wanted to play, I played with the guys.
and some guys were cool with this.
but many were not.
they wouldn't pass a ball to a girl.
they didn't want to guard me or have me guard them.

that was,
until I had proven that I could hang. 

so, there is story coming out of this year's women's draft that really strikes a chord with me.

Mark Cuban-owner of the Dallas Mavericks
invited Brittney Griner to tryout for his NBA team. 

she turned it down and said she was perfectly happy to go as the #1 overall pick to the WNBA.

There is so much about this that makes me happy and proud to be a female athlete. 



First, an invitation was extended. Good on you, Mark Cuban.
He recognized her abilities and leveled the playing field. I'm assuming this was a tremendous compliment to Brittney.
We women are often left trying to prove that we deserve a place on the court, on the field, in the workplace.
It often leaves us striving.
Which is exhausting. 

so, what I love even more than the fact that Brittney was invited, 
was that she turned it down. 
 I LOVE that she said "thanks, but no thanks" to the invitation. 
that she is content to play with other women.

(Brittney Griner, source: Nytimes.com)

I'm not here to beat the "women are equal in every way" drum, 
because I know that when it comes to physical characterics we are not.
 My husband is bigger, faster, and stronger than me. 
(just don't make me say that out loud to him :) ha! )

what I am here to say is this:

Women, we have our place. 
Let's keep going for it. 
We don't need to strive so hard, 
but we also don't need to back down. 
just BE.
be the best version of yourself.
and don't ever let any man (or woman)
stop you from pursuing THAT goal. 


the world needs you.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment