Wednesday, May 1, 2013

life lately


 

it's all cloudy and chilly out today.
so, in honor of today's weather, I'm inviting you to coffee...

won't you pull up a chair and stay awhile? :) 

if we were going to sit down for a cup of coffee this afternoon,

I would probably ask you if you were coming from out of town,
if the answer was yes, then I might subtly drop a hint for you to swing by Starbucks or your local coffee shop for an extra hot caramel macchiato.
(tell them to make it as hot as possible before they scald the milk...that's the way I like it..k, thanks.)

I'm a bit cut off out here, ya'll. :)


Once you sat down and got cozy,
and I took a quick sip of my scalding hot drink,
I'd ask you something like "What have you been up to lately?" 

and because you are polite, you'd ask me the same thing. :)


to which I would respond.....

Lately I've been reading a lot....mostly about adoption (but I'd save that for another post conversation)....
I'd tell you that this weekend I took break from all the adoption blogs and books, and read The Atonement Child by Francine Rivers.

I'd admit to you that I stayed up waaaaaay too late one night reading this book on my oh-so-awesome Kindle. and then I'd tell you that it made my heart ache deeply for all the women I know who have faced decisions about abortion. I'd mention to you that I value those who come alongside these women and love them well before, during or after they have made this decision.

I'd tell you that the part of the book that got my blood boiling was how so many of the "Christians" responded...boiling...because I see it every day...all around me...and I recognize the tendency in myself, if I'm not careful to remain humble and focused on Jesus. 

I'd tell you that theologically, there are things in the book that make me raise an eyebrow, but hey, it wasn't mean to be a study of theology, but a STORY-a beautiful story about forgivness that spans years and generations, about hope, redemption, healing, and an unconditional love that does not judge.

I'd also probably bring up this blog written by Donald Miller last week, where he challenged the current Pro-Life strategy, and I'd tell you that I whole-heartedly AGREE with what dear Mr. Miller asserts.



I'd tell you that lately I have not been doing as much running as I would have like, but that I did complete 10 miles before work yesterday!
Which made me feel strong and gave me a confidence boost going into this weekend.
I'd tell you that I ran the whole 10 miles without music because my phone was completely broken, but that I really enjoyed running without music.

I'd share with you that it was beautiful to watch the sun come up in silence, and then I'd tell you that I'm hoping I will keep up the motivation even after the half marathon is over. :)

While we were on the topic of music, 
I'd tell you that I've been listening to a lot of bluegrass, indie-pop, and country music lately.
especially country.



Hey. Don't judge.
You can take the girl out of the country, 
but you can't take the country out of the girl.

Country music makes me all nostalgic,
& it gets me REALLY excited for summer.



I'd tell you that country music
is like a soundtrack of my childhood summers.
I'd share memories with you.
Memories of long days on the farm,
riding horses,
getting animals ready to show,
running through sprinklers,
water skiing on the lake with friends, 
sitting around campfires, 
crashing the local wedding dances at the VFW & 4-H building,
cruising around town with the windows down. 

ah, sweet summertime. 

If you were lucky, and the caffeine had kicked in, I might even break into song:
it's a smile,
it's a kiss,
it's a sip of wine,
it's summertime.


I'd tell you that I actually really love to ride in the car with my feet on the dashboard,
and that it drives my husband a little crazy.
he let's me do it anyway. cuz he love mes. 

I'd tell you that we are planning a 3 week road trip to CA and CO for weddings.
and that we're planning to "rough it" as much as possible. 

I'd tell you how thankful I am for my husband,
and that I get to do life with him. 
I'd tell you that lately I have been reminded that 
God really, really blessed me when he brought Rob into my life.
 

I'd tell you that I'm reminded daily that being connected to people is important,
to family,
to friends, 
to strangers.
I'd tell you that this is why we LOVE to have people stay with us,
and why we continue to operate our house a bit like you would a Bed & Breakfast.
that even though it takes work,
we love to have people stay with us
(I'd tell you about how we had a total of 7 visitors this weekend in a mere 48 hours).

I'd tell you that I'm extremely thankful for friendships,
like yours,
and then I'd tell you one last time how THANKFUL I was you came by for coffee.

:)



1 comment:

  1. You are such a gifted writer, Erica! Keep those posts coming!

    ReplyDelete