Sunday, September 5, 2010

homesick

in college there would be a few randoms Sundays when I would long for home.
lazy afternoons with my family,
usually involving a long nap and then junk for dinner
cereal and popcorn were my favorites.
thanks to this tradition, I still have issues with cooking on Sunday evenings.

this morning I woke up with a similar longing
only for a different home.
my church.

when I took my job at Excelsior in June
it meant that we could no longer attend Trailhead on Sunday evenings.
we talked and prayed about whether I should take the job,
but it just didn't seem to make any sense at all not to.
plus, I felt like it was totally God that got me the job.
having your "dream" job within a month of graduation is pretty unheard...in any economy. right?

all of that to say, I work at 4pm on Sundays.
Trailhead meets for worship at 5pm.
and this morning I am really missing that.

Trailhead was our home away from home for the first 2 years of marriage.
the people there walked with us as we tried to figure out how to be married, work, finish school, and have relationships with others.
they know us. and we know them.
it felt (feels!) like home.

which is why i feel homesick.
i miss worshiping alongside people who know me, and still love me.
i miss sitting close to Rob and sharing a Bible while we listen to the teaching.
i miss communion and the intimacy of our services. dim lights. free from rules and judgment.
i even miss working in the nursery and watching our friends babies grow from month to month.

and yet, I know that God has a plan.
i'm sure of that.
i sense that he has something in store for us in the church department;
i'm just not sure how to go about figuring that out.

i'll (try to) be patient.
and pray.
and visit churches in the meantime (boo.)
and hope that God shows us what His plan is when the time is right.

2 comments:

  1. I love keeping up with your blog, stay patient and your ventures will be blessed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and I am so thankful you were blessed with that body for the time that you were. Maybe your schedule will change up sometime in the future. Or maybe God intends to use you as His branches in another body. Thank you for your honesty and openness. I love that about you.

    ReplyDelete