Friday, December 31, 2010

christmas sabbatical

i took a little sabbatical from blogging this month.
not really on purpose.
it just kinda happened.

December has been a crazy month.
I know that it feels that way for most people. unfortunately.
but this December was different, and difficult, for me.

I wish I could say it was all celebration and anticipation.
but it wasn't.
there were definitely MOMENTS of joy, celebration, and anticipation.
and this past week, which has been spent with family, has been wonderful.
(more on that later)
but a majority of the month was....long. difficult. emotional.

please do not read "BAD," because that is not what I am saying.

it's just that working in Residential Treatment with adolescents who are separated from their families during the holidays is, well, hard.
they are emotional.
i am emotional.


and not being on a school schedule, where you get 2-3 weeks off for the holidays is a bummer. seriously.
another reason that growing up stinks.
unless you are Rob, which means you still get the break.
maybe i shouldn't have rebelled against the family tradition of teaching :)

and due to all the changes in our life, we had yet to find a new church "home" by the time Christmas rolled around, which left us feeling displaced and homeless during this season of celebrating our Savior.

it just wasn't the December i knew.
which is okay.
but it just means that I am learning and adjusting.
when we were driving out to Western Kansas for Christmas,
I told Rob that I wished I had a do-over for December.

not because it was so great,
but because I learned some things and I wish I could go back and do it different.
this is soooo my personality, by the way.
i hate to miss out on anything.
i am very critical of myself.
and i really like to get the most of every moment.

here are some things that I learned from this December:

--get organized before the holidays hit.
--find ways to celebrate the small things.
--decorate! even if you don't like your little apartment. do it. it just makes it feel like Christmas.
--spend time with those you love. doing simple things. instilling traditions. drinking coco. looking at Christmas lights. stuff like that.
--let go. it is not about ME or THINGS or LISTS.
--read the Christmas story from the Bible. and Children's books. Reflect on Jesus and what HE HAS DONE not what I need to do.

thank goodness I get another December next year.
and thank goodness I get to celebrate Jesus all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment